Sunday, May 06, 2007

It's all about conquering your fears!





Well Steven took me along to get my feet wet and give climbing a go! I was rather reluctant at first due to the fact that I am extremely afraid of heights. We went with some of his friends and their ladies. Which I admit I found even more intimidating since they had all gone climbing before. My fears in no particular order were A) I would be overcome with fear and start to cry
B) I would pass out and they would have to climb up to lower my limp body C) I would wet my pants, and those below would feel the effects! D) All of the above happening simultaneously. Ok.....maybe I tend to be a little dramatic. So I insisted on going last, so that I could watch everyones technique, but Steven knew I was just trying to buy time. So it was finally my turn to go. I had to reach up with my leg to this hold that was pretty much "go go Gadget legs" so I was really having a hard time convincing my body that we wouldn't fall to a most certain death....(it felt like hours had passed) I developed a charlie horse. Steven at that point said," It's o.k. to quit Dena, you can come down..." For those readers that know me well his words which were meant to be tender just spurred me on. In my head I could feel myself saying," Oh yeah?" I enjoyed the challenge of finding good holds and taking the risk of stepping out onto tiny holds. When all was over and done I knew why Steven loves climbing so much. You face your fears....you overcome an obstacle...and you feel that you accomplished something amazing. I don't know that I will ever be as agile or strong as some; but it felt pretty cool to be on top of the world for a moment....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dena, you rock! Take me with you next time. -Gaby

Rachel said...

Beanie,
You're my hero. Seriously, you are the real deal. Love you.
Rachel aka super star ;)

FishHead said...

Yeah for Dena!

Anonymous said...

Wow Dena...I would have been the one crying!!!!You're the bomb!!!

Unknown said...

Wow Auntie Dena you are great! I hope we can see you again soon.

Anonymous said...

Look at you Miss Hardcore Spiderwoman...I am so impressed! I guess we know how to light a fire under you now!!